Sunday, January 29, 2006

Farewell (Get the Party Started)




As it happens, some friends come and some friends go. It is inherent to so peculiar a life as that of a PhD student. You meet lots of people, and if you are lucky you can also meet very good persons. I met A. in October, some weeks after having arrived in NYC. She's been the first person with whom I had some degree of confidence, maybe becuase she's French. She is a lovely girl, and I'm a little bit sad she is leaving. On yesterday there was her farewell party. It took really a long time to get to her house in Brooklyn. It wasn't the most lucky day. First the D train had to stop because of a sick guy at the 42 Street station. We had to wait another train. At Washington Square we had to change to the F train. We waited 20 mins. It took one hour, goddamn.. A street player made our waiting at Washington Square station more amusing. He was playng the squeeze-box, and his masterpiece was the Godfather soundtrack. When he started playing a Tarantella, I felt a tear falling down my eye. I gave him one dollar bill. We had fun at the party. I met A.'s flatmates and other persons. Maybe I'll be back in that house very soon.. I definitely enjoyed this week-end. Smelling the New York City winter, walking in the night, really gives you a sense of well-being...

No comments: