Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Coast 2 Coast - Part One

It's time to start telling about the coast to coast, before memories begin fading out. Like an economist, let me start with some figures:

Total miles: 4832
States we crossed: 15
Places we stopped: 9 (San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Grand Kenyon, Santa Fe, Saint Louis, Cincinnati).
Fuel: too many gallons...

We left on Saturday March the 4th. We were so crazy that we decided to reach the JFK airport by subway. Like in Duke Ellington song, we took the A train very early in the morning, as you can see in the picture below.




We were 3, Matteo, me and Suomen (who was taking the picture..). It was freezing outside. Since the beginning the trip has been funny. The NYC subway is populated by very strange characters, even at 4 in the morning. We met two crazy girls coming back from a Friday night party, eating a MacDonald salad with French fries as breakfast. We finally arrived at JFK, and Matte was already struggling with his luggage...




It took about 5 hours to get to Phoenix, where we had the connection to San Francisco. I could feel to have left New York, as people were strangely kinder than I had used to for the last months. A guy offered his seat to me just to let me see the landing in San Francisco. And it was worthy, as it is a very amazing view. It seems you are landing on the water, and the ground really appears in the very last monment. This was the first impact with California: not so bad, I have to say...

Now it's time to sleep, but I promise I'll come soon with further pictures and tales..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Manipulation of information:
ehi fra I was struggling with my baggage but in san francisco since the climate changed completly I was looking for lighter(?) clothes.

solo per essere un po' polemico!